Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Latkehs: Traditional Potato Pancakes
Yield: 25-30 latkehs - 6 generous servings (can easily be halved)
These instructions assume you’re using a food processor.
6 large potatoes: 1.600 kg.
3 large onions
1 more large onion, chopped and set aside. This is is optional but worth the extra few minutes of work for the extra taste.
1 cup flour and 1 Tblsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt for separate onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt for potato batter
1 tsp. white pepper
Oil for shallow frying: olive, canola, or corn oil
1. Cut the potatoes into chunks that will work with your food processor. You don’t have to peel the potatoes, just scrub them well and go over them with a knife to remove anything undesirable.
2. In food processor: grate the potatoes with the fine-grating disk.
3. Dump the grated mass into a colander and rinse briefly to avoid discoloration. Allow to drain while everything else is being prepared.
4. Rinse the food processor; fit the knife in.
5. Peel and quarter the 3 onions; puree them in the food processor.
6. Add the eggs to the pureed onions; blend them for a few seconds.
7. Add the 1 1/2 tsp. salt, the pepper, flour, and baking powder to the contents of the FP. Whirl till all is smooth.
8. Optional Heat 1 Tblsp. oil in the frying pan. Saute the chopped onion until it’s golden, and remove it to a small bowl.
9. Put the grated potatoes in a big bowl and mix the batter into that. Add the sauteed chopped onion, if using; mix well.
10. Pour another tablespoon of oil into the pan and heat it. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, turn out little hills of raw batter into the hot oil. This works better than using cooking spoons. Flatten out the tops a little. Fry till the first side is brown; gently flip over with a spatula and fry till the other side is brown too. Taste the first one or two to determine what color the latkehs have to be when they’re done. The oil in the pan will need to be renewed once in a while.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot, topped with applesauce and sour cream.
My own MIXED VEGETABLE LATKES
4 med potatoes, grated
1 lg sweet potato, grated
2 lg carrots, grated
2 lg zucchini, grated
1 lg onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
Press grated potatoes into colander to eliminate excess moisture. Mix ingredients together in bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Heat oil in lg heavy skillet. When very hot (not smoking) squeeze moisture from small fistfuls of mixture and flatten in palms, dropping into hot oil. Smaller latkes take less time to cook, so make them small to cut down on cooking time. Lift to test after a few minutes; when brown, turn over and cook on other side until done. Drain on cookie sheets lined with paper towels. Serve immediately with toppings.